Cobblestone E-Reader

Would you like to receive notifications about upcoming events and museum news? Subscribe to our E-Reader!

The Cobblestone Museum...

Is a social history museum that promotes the study and exploration of cobblestone construction methods from 1825 to 1860, offering visitors the opportunity to explore three period cobblestone structures set in Victorian appearance and four wood structures highlighting 19th century agricultural implements and skilled trades.

Learn More

Post date: Thu, 07/24/2014 - 12:11am

By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian Posted 23 July 2014
CHILDS – In this picture from the summer of 1977 we see the ribbon-cutting ceremony for the Ward House at the Cobblestone Museum in Childs.

Cobblestone Society board members, along with Congressman John LaFalce, appear behind the ribbon. In front, from left, include: Bernard Lynch, Evelyn Lyman, Congressman LaFalce (who is about to cut the ribbon), Cary H. Lattin, and Cary W. Lattin, the museum director.

Post date: Mon, 07/21/2014 - 8:00am

Dr. Joseph Lee Bullock Brown - The Fort Dalles Museum

Born July 26, 1822 at Albany, New York to Rufus and Margaret Bullock Brown, Joseph Lee Bullock Brown received his early education in the Albany area. He later attended the Albany Medical College where he graduated from that institution, likely in the early 1840s and shortly after the establishment of the school in 1839.

Appointed physician at Clinton Prison in 1845, the year after the institution was established, Dr. Brown remained in that position for nearly three years before he removed to Detroit, Michigan to practice surgery.

In 1849, he received an appointment as a surgeon with the U.S. Regular Army and received a commission as Assistant Surgeon from Zachary Taylor the following year. Stationed at Ft. Dalles in the Oregon Territory, Dr. Brown also served in Texas and the Washington Territory up until the start of the Civil War.

Post date: Thu, 07/17/2014 - 5:13pm

By Bill Lattin, Orleans County Historian Posted 17 July 2014
GAINES – Our color photo shows a small building in Gaines as it looked in 1987 when given by Rose Welles to the Cobblestone Museum.

This was moved in August 1987 from next to the Chatterbox Restaurant to Route 98 in Childs. It had been built in 1838 for a shoe shop by Starr Chester. Once at the museum grounds, the building was restored inside and out.

Supporters